Friday, December 6, 2019

ePistlewright


Famous First Words: Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude... 13th Amendment to the US Constitution
Happy Birthday, Stephen! Every morning I get up and make instant coffee and I drink it so I have the energy to make real coffee. / "Woke up this morning and folded my bed back into a couch. Almost broke both my arms cause it’s not that kind of bed --Stephen Wright
..........Don't be a naughty baby..........Ira Gershwin …..Embraceable You
I would fight for my liberty so long as my strength lasted. --Harriet Tubman
It is a clear, cold (32°) Friday morning. Wisps of stringy clouds fly south through a sunny sky. The stiff breeze also bites the cheek and the nose with wintery cold. A flock of ducks or geese, I cannot tell which, are flying due north silently, flying into the wind. Puck barks at squirrels or perhaps the idea of squirrels since the tree seems to contain none. Then he barks at a leaf blowing along the street and next a piece of paper caught between the fence and the grass flapping with a papery noise. The world is brown and golden, trees are devoid of leaves, and flower beds look dead and sad. But the sun is shining brightly warming the cold wherever it can. The smell of cars and evergreens greet the nose as we walk along...preparing us for winter and for yuletide celebrations. We return home before when our walk turns us north into the wind. We return to a warm room lit by the sun poking itself through windows, past blinds, around shades and filling it with shiny shadows and tiny rainbows. In the midst of these I sit, breathing in delicious smelling steam and sipping my sweetened, creamed coffee; oh, yes, and writing to you. What more could I ask of a winter's day?
Hope your weekend breaks all fun records, ePistliers.
I’m going to get a tattoo over my whole body of me but taller. / I went to a tourist information booth and said 'Tell me about some people who were here last year.' --Stephen Wright
..........The memory of all that..........Ira Gershwin …..They Can't Take That Away From Me
Trivia Questions: Happy Birthday to the Encyclopedia Britannica !!
^ Where was the Encyclopedia Britannica first published?
^^ What qualities were credited to the first edition in contemporary advertisement?
^^^ About how big was the first edition of the encyclopedia?
^^^^ And how big was the latest edition?
^^^^^ Any idea what number the latest edition is or when it came out?
Funniest Thing I Read of the Week: I may not have the best body but it sure does hold all my organs in place.
Fake Library Statistic of the Week: 24% of reference questions this week will be patrons looking for rare diseases they can claim to have to avoid visiting family over the holidays. https://www.facebook.com/FakeLibStats/?fref=ts
I’ve been getting into astronomy so I installed a skylight. The people who live above me are furious. / Why is it a penny for your thoughts but you have to put your two cents in? Somebody’s making a penny. --Stephen Wright
..........You've got me on the go..........Ira Gershwin …..Fascinating Rhythm
Moonbeam: But only God can make a tree. --Joyce Kilmer
Naturally Occurring Mandala of the Week: Oyster Shell

Big Hello: Copoдэ – Ulch (Siberia) https://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/hello.htm
Next Funniest Thing I Read of the Week: All pets are therapy pets. Most are just working undercover. --Submitted by ag of ks
Week of the Week: Recipe Greetings for the Holidays Week (1-7) --I used to know a guy who absolutely loved hollandaise sauce. He would buy the spiciest brand he could find and would put it on just about everything. Well it turned out that because he used the spicy sauce so much, it started to wear down a hole on the roof of his mouth. He went to a doctor and asked what he could do about it. The doctor looks at the damage and determines that the man will need a metal plate placed at the roof of his mouth. The man is relieved but can't help asking the doctor if he will still be able to enjoy his hollandaise sauce. The doctor reassures the man that his new plate will be made of chrome. “Don't worry, there's no plate like chrome for the hollandaise."
I got a new dog. He’s a paranoid retriever. He brings back everything because he’s not sure what I threw him. / I broke a mirror in my house and I’m supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five. --Stephen Wright
..........I'm a little lamb who's lost in the wood..........Ira Gershwin …..Someone To Watch Over Me
^ The first edition of the Encyclopædia Britannica was published and printed in Edinburgh for the engraver Andrew Bell and the printer Colin Macfarquhar by “a society of gentlemen in Scotland” and was sold by Macfarquhar at his printing office on Nicolson Street.
Almanac: It is Friday, December 6, 2019. The moon was first quarter on Wednesday and is in Aries. It is Miner's Day, Mitten Tree Day, National Gazpacho Day, National Pawnbrokers Day, National Salesperson Day, and St. Nicholas Day. In Bahrain it is Ruler's Ascension Day; in Ecuador it is Day of Quito (1534), and Finland celebrates Independence Day (1917). Because it is first Friday it is also Faux Fur Friday.
Among those born on this day were Henry VI (1421), John Eberhard (1822), William S. Hart (1870), Joyce Kilmer (1886), Lynn Fontanne (1887), Ira Gershwin (1896), Agnes Moorehead (1906), Dave Brubeck (1920), Wally Cox (1924), JoBeth Williams (1948), and Steven Wright (1955).
On December sixth Quito, Ecuador was founded (1534), the first edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica was published (1768), Schumann's Fourth Symphony in D premiered (1841), the thirteenth Amendment was ratified abolishing slavery (1865), the first US crematorium began operation (1876), Edison made the first sound recording (1877), the first constitution of Irish Free State came into operation (1922), the first electric line carried power (1922), Gerald Ford became the first unelected vice-president (1973), Robert Dole married Elizabeth Hanford (1975), Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country premiered (1991), and the Maltese Falcon was auctioned for $398,500 (1994).
Night Sky, 12/6: The Moon shines lower left of the Great Square of Pegasus. http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/sky-at-a-glance/
Max Picture of the Week: Max the referee signaling a seahawk's touchdown ~~In case you don't recognize the city, they're in Seattle

This Week: Saturday, December 7 – International Civil Aviation Day & National Rhubarb Bodka Day & Bartender Appreciation Day
Sunday, December 8 – AFL-CIO Day & National Day of Lard & Pretend To Be A Time Traveler Day
Night Sky, 12/8: Orion fully clears the eastern horizon by about 8 pm now, depending on how far east or west you live in your time zone. High above Orion shines orange Aldebaran. Above Aldebaran is the little Pleiades cluster, the size of your fingertip at arm's length.
Monday, December 9 – Green Monday & International Anti-Corruption Day
Tuesday, December 10 – Jane Addams Day & Human Rights Day & Nobel Prize Day
Night Sky, 12/10: Mercury and Mars are visible in the early dawn.
Wednesday, December 11 – Kaleidoscope Day & National Sobriety Day & UNICEF's Birthday
Thursday, December 12 – National Ding-a-Ling Day & National Lost Day & Poinsettia Day
When I get real real bored I like to drive downtown and get a great parking spot then sit in my car and count how many people ask me if I’m leaving. / I spilled spot remover on my dog and now he’s gone. --Stephen Wright
..........I got no car, got no mule, got no misery..........Ira Gershwin …..I Got Plenty of Nothing
^^ The Edinburgh Evening Courant carried an advertisement that pledged the encyclopædia would provide “ACCURATE DEFINITIONS and EXPLANATIONS, of all the Terms as they occur in the Order of the Alphabet.”
'Nother Funniest Thing I Read of the Week: Seven swans to rule them all, Six geese to find them, Five rings to bring them all, And in the pear tree bind them. --submitted by gr of oh
Moonbeam: We can be bought, but we can't be bored. --Lynn Fontanne
Late Night Snacks of the Week: The Justice Department released over 300 pages of notes and memos from the investigation that reveal former New Jersey governor Chris Christie dined with Trump on Valentine’s Day 2017, an occasion where Trump remarked, “Now that we fired Michael Flynn, the Russia thing is over.” Today, Team Trump got a visit from the ghost of investigations past. I don’t know which is more embarrassing: the fact that Trump thought he was in the clear in 2017, or that Donald Trump and Chris Christie spent Valentine’s Day together, I wonder who picked up that dinner tab. --Jimmy Kimmel / I’m not going to let people take advantage of American companies, because if anyone is going to take advantage of American companies, it’s gonna be us.--Trump ... How dare you take advantage of American companies – that’s what I was gonna do. He’s like the world’s worst superhero; he’ll like stop a mugger who’s robbing an old lady, but only so he can fly off with her purse. In response to the French taxes, Trump is now threatening to tax “all the most cliched French goods like wine, cheese, and handbags. He was probably also going to tax French fries and mistresses, but that hit too close to home. --Trevor Noah
Not So Late Night Snacks of the Week: March Madness is the busiest time at Buffalo Wild Wings, right? So the restaurant is always looking for ways to make the customers' experience even more enjoyable, including which of these? A, they set up booths with sports bookies to help you draw up your brackets; B, an onsite therapist for those suffering from actual clinical March Madness or C, the jewel stool, a cooled bar stool for men who got vasectomies so they could skip work and watch more games. --Peter Sagal Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me 11/29/19 ~~The answer was C, by the way
I've heard 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' read, and I tell you Mrs. Stowe's pen hasn't begun to paint what slavery is as I have seen it at the far South. I've seen de real thing, and I don't want to see it on no stage or in no theater. --Harriet Tubman
I’m writing a book. I have the page numbers done; now I just have to fill in the rest. / When we were driving over the border back into the United States, they asked me if I had any firearms. I said what do you need? --Stephen Wright
..........'S awful nice, 's paradise..........Ira Gershwin …..S'Wonderful
^^^ The parts were bound in three stout quarto volumes of some 2,500 pages, with 160 copperplate engravings by Bell. --The first Encyclopedia Britannica
Worthless Fact of the Week: The first modern crematory in the US was built in 1876 in Pennsylvania by Francis Julius LeMoyne after hearing about its use in Europe. During that time it was thought that people were getting sick by attending funerals of those recently deceased and that decomposing bodies were leaking into the water systems.
Wicked Funniest Thing I Read of the Week: I can't remember the last time anyone, let alone a president of the United States, was laughed off a continent. --George Conway --Submitted by pj of ks
Weird Word of the Week: Tolfraedic – goods sold by number often containing more than the nominal total – the baker's dozen of 13, for instance. http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-tol2.htm
Wacky Uses for Common Products: Make a walker glide more easily. Cut a hole in two Wilson Tennis Balls and fit them on the back feet of the walker. http://www.wackyuses.com/wacky/wilson.html
I've written several children's books ... Not on purpose. / I called the wrong number today. I said 'Hello, is Joey there?' A woman answered and she said 'Yes he is.' And I said ‘Can I speak to him please?’ She said ‘No, he can’t talk right now, he’s only two months old.' I said 'Alright, I’ll wait.' --Stephen Wright
...........The things that you're liable to read in the Bible..........Ira Gershwin …..Ain't Necessarily So
^^^^ The 2010 version of the encyclopedia spans 32 volumes and 32,640 pages.
Penultimate Funniest Thing I Read of the Week: After Black Friday comes Cyber Monday followed by Buyer's Remorse Tuesday and Hiding from Creditors Wednesday.
Science Fiction Convention of the Week: SMOFCon 37 (6-8, Albuquerque, NM) ...All Left Turns: Making the Right Plans http://www.smofcon37.com/
Actual Science Convention of the Week: TeVPA 2019 – TeV Particle Astrophysics (2-6, Sydney) Cosmic rays, cosmology, dark matter, and much more...https://conference-service.com/conferences/gravitation-and-cosmology.html
Puck the Brave Episode of the Week: Here's Puck's sidekick Justice, with her sidekick Dashiell, disguised as an elf in the case of the Elf Dogs.

I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance. / We lived in a house that ran on static electricity. If we wanted to cook something, we had to take a sweater off real quick. If we wanted to run a blender we had to rub balloons on our heads. --Stephen Wright
..........I am so awfully misunderstood..........Ira Gershwin …..Lady Be Good
^^^^^ The 2010 edition of Encyclopedia Britannica was the 15th and was the last printed edition.
Month of the Week: December is National Pear Month – Fruits do go to heaven – it's the one with the Pearly gates. / What lives in pears and is an avid reader? A Boscworm
Final Funniest Thing I Read of the Week: May the last month of your 2019 be the plot twist you have been waiting for. --Submitted by ks of co
Grammar Joke of the Week: Yes, it is true, graduate students in English do play pin the apostrophe on the ITS at parties.
Today's Peace of History, December 6, 1849: Harriet Tubman, a slave in Maryland, escaped her owners.
It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it. / I almost broke both my arms trying to hold open a revolving door for a woman. --Stephen Wright
..........Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto..........Ira Gershwin …..Let's Call the Whole Thing Off
Masthead of the Week: Friday ePistle December 6, 2019, ePistlewright. Peace and Laughs ala Wright. Online at: http://fridayepistle.blogspot.com/ Exclusive editor: Christine Smith. 2511 Morningside Dr. Lawrence, KS 66047
Moonbeam: Slavery is the next thing to hell. --Harriet Tubman
Cost of War:
As of 12/5/19 Military Costs of War since 2001: $2,981,478,932,284.
As of 11/28/19 Military Costs of War since 2001: $2,979,588,145,326.
As of 12/5/19 Homeland Security Costs since 2001: $935,558,407,194.
As of 11/28/19 Homeland Security Costs since 2001: $934,273,430,895.
As of 12/5/19 Interest on War Debt since 2001: $725,787,645,796.
As of 11/28/19 Interest on War Debt since 2001: $724,172,195,558.
As of 12/5/19 Veterans Care since 2001: $320,588,087,659.
As of 11/28/19 Veterans Care since 2001: $320,220,931,867.
As of 12/5/19 Total Cost of Wars since 2001: $4,963,413,692,399.
As of 11/28/19 Total Cost of Wars since 2001: $4,958,255,350,079.
Quakers almost as good as colored. They call themselves friends and you can trust them every time. --Harriet Tubman
..........And you can get it if you try..........Ira Gershwin …..Nice Work If You Can Get It
I stayed up one night playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. / I was Caesarean born. Can’t really tell, although whenever I leave a house I go through the window.. --Stephen Wright
Famous Last Words: ...shall be ratified by the necessary legislation. Constitution of Irish Free State
May Peace bring you gold
And Joy bring you diamonds
prairie mama
christine


Last Laugh:


No comments:

Post a Comment