Friday, September 11, 2026

Billowing ePistle

Famous First Words: Professor Tigwissel becoming alarmed... From Professor Tigwissel's Burglar Alarm --the first newspaper cartoon strip 9/11/1875 New York Daily Graphic

Reading This ePistle will not solve your problems, but neither will cleaning your oven.

It's Cloud Appreciation Day! Oh, no, the little cloud just ran away to join the Cirrus. @@ I used to own a small plane that I used to fly around for fun. But I had to get rid of it. All those damned computer clouds were tearing it up.

..........Dropping rain from on high.........Jean Warren …..When I See Clouds In The Sky (tune: My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean)

I think the first duty of society is justice. --Alexander Hamilton

It is a foggy Friday morning. It has been a long time since we've had fog and a while since we've had a temperature of 65°F. An aging Puck declined to go out it in (perhaps he's been watching too many horror movies) and instead peed in the kitchen in front of me while I was fixing his breakfast. Sigh! The wildlife on the back patio, however, is delighted with cooler weather and with nearly soggy sunflower seeds. The sky is hidden above the fog. There is no wind and only the thinnest ends of willow branches are moving at all. I do not hear birdsong. The colors are muted by humidity giving an impressionist quality to the view from the window. I appreciate the coolness, and the beauty as I sip my coffee and listen to Puck sighing under my desk. And now I get to write to you. Another big sigh!

Hope your weekend floats like a cloud, most patient readers.

First Funniest Thing I Read of the Week: The last time this country experienced this level of civil unrest, the music was a whole lot better. Weaponization of Ignorance

Storm clouds wear thnderwear under their raincoats. @@ Does heaven have to supply IT people since they invented cloud storage for computers. --St Peter

..........And I started to dream..........The Rollings Stones …..Get Off Of My Cloud

Trivia Questions: On this day in 1919 the US invaded Honduras.

  1. What was the war called? Hint: Not Tropical Storm.

  2. What was the US's excuse for invading Honduras?

  3. What did the US do?

  4. What was the result?

  5. What do you know about the Banana Wars?

Big Hello: Mwngz ni – Yongbei Zhuang (China) https://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/hello.htm

Second Funniest Thing I Read of the Week: I got a job at Comcast and completed training so I could fix my own cable because it was faster than being on hold with customer service. --Submitted by Writers, Readers and General Tomfoolery

Philosophy Punch Line of the Week: Heidegger, Girard, Nietzsche. Like so many others in tech, I draw inspiration from completely misunderstanding those authors. --Submitted by Philosophy Matters

Whatever This Is of the Week: At this point MAGA is just Stockholm Syndrome for people who don't know where Stockholm is. --sashasrbulj --Submitted by gr of oh

When clouds are sick do they feel, “over the weather”? @@ Clara cloud broke up with her boyfriend because he kept bragging that he was made up of Linux servers.

..........It's clouds' illusions I recall.........Joni Mitchell …..Both Sides Now

Humans are the measures of all things. --Protagoras

Moonbeam: The true adventurer goes forth aimless and uncalculating to meet and greet unknown fate. --O Henry

Blasphemy of the Week: The patron saint of copying someone on email is St Francis of a cc. --Submitted by Blasphemy Memes

Extra Blasphemy of the Week: Town Priest: The witches that control the woods are evil. Girl: What do they doi? Town Priest: They aren't heteronormative or patriarchal, do lots of drugs, and have sex with each other. Girl: OMG what specific parts of the woods are they in, so I can avoid them extra hard? --Submitted by MMS

Next Funniest Thing I Read of the Week: If you're wondering how bad things REALLY are: Clorox announced a recall because some of their cleaning products are contaminated with highly infectious bacteria...--Submitted by 98%

There was once a cloud that became queen. She rained for thirty years. @@ The CIA keeps sending drones with microphones into the clouds above the antifa offices.

..........But I'll fly a little higher..........Rob Sobiech …..Clouds

Humans are featherless bipeds. --Plato

1) The military intervention occurred during the First Honduran Civil War which was called the Revolution of '19. This war was in turn part of a broader conflict known as the Banana Wars.

Almanac: It is the 254th day of the year, Friday, September 11. The moon is new today and is in Virgo. Today is Hug Your Boss Day, Libraries Remember Day, National Dog Walker Appreciation Day, and Remember Freedom Day. Because it is the second Friday it is Cloud Appreciation Day.

Among those born on this day were O Henry (1862), D H Lawrence (1885), Bear Bryant (1913), Ferdinand Marcos (1917), Tom Landry (1924), Earl Holliman (1928), Brian DePalma (1940), Paul Riser (1943), Leo Kottke (1945), Amy Madigan (1950), and Harry Connick Jr (1967).

On September eleventh, Alexander Hamilton was appointed Secretary of the Treasurer (1789). Jenny Lind gave her first US concert (1850). The first newspaper cartoon strip was published (1875). The Bronx Gas & Electric Company opened (1893). The US invaded Honduras (1919). Britain took over the rule of Palestine (1922). Boulder Dam (now known as Hoover Dam) was dedicated (1936).

Night Sky, 9/11: The moon is new today at 3:26 am. That's 0% illumination.

Fraternal Picture of the Week: Back to School: One bought a grown up hat.

One dyed his hair purple.

This Week: Saturday, September 12 - National Day of Encouragement & National Hug and High Five Day & Prairie Day

Sunday, August 13 – Bald Is Beautiful Day & Kids Take Over The Kitchen Day & Scooby-Doo Day

Night Sky, 9/13: Mars & Jupiter rise in the east in the morning. Saturn shines all through the night.

Monday, August 14 – Live Creative Day & National Boss/Employee Exchange Day & National Sober Day

Tuesday, August 15 – Greenpeace Day & National Voter Registration Day & National Day of the Cowgirl

Night Sky, 9/15: Cygnus the Swan and Lyra the lyre aka the eagle are the dominant constellations in September.

Wednesday, August 16 – National Tattoo Story Day & Stay Away From Seattle Day & Trail of Tears Commemoration Day

Thursday, August 17 – Citizenship Day & Constitution Day & Time's Up Day

Night Sky, 9/17: Sunrise: 6:58 AM Sunset: 7:37 pm 12 hours and 56 minutes of daylight. Moonrise: 7:30 am Moonset: 7:45 pm.

I was gonna tell a cloud joke, but it evaporated. @@ I linked my new phone to the cloud, now all I get is mist calls.

..........Head high up in the clouds..........Miley Cyrus …..Midnight Sky

Humans are rational animals. --Aristotle

2) Francisco Bertrand, president of Honduras, attempted to block open presidential succession prompting revolt. Oh, no! Possible regional instability.

Preantepenultimate Funniest Thing I Read of the Week: Men should think twice before making widowhood women's only path to power. --Gloria Steinem

Moonbeam: Inject a few raisins of conversation into the tasteless dough of existence. --O Henry

Fun Facts of the Week: Today is the anniversary of one of a major name change, damn. In 1930 the newly opened dam was completed and named Hoover after the sitting president, Herbert Hoover. 1933: After Hoover lost the election to FDR, the Secretary of the Interior, Harold Ickes, began calling it Boulder Dam which had been the working title of the project. 1947: Harry Truman signed the legislative act returning Hoover's name to the dam.

Video of the Week: Amy Madigan: He Made A Woman Out Of Me (with Ry Cooder on guitar) from the movie Crossroads. (4:14)

The sacred rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records, They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself; and can never be erased or obscured by mortal power. --Alexander Hamilton

On their days off, tornado clouds play tournament Twister. @@ The reason it took so long for computers to develop cloud storage was that the Giant -one that Jack climbed the beanstalk and killed- ran the cloud storage business as a monopoly.

..........Take less shape and disappear.........Lousine …..Just A Cloud

Humans are f*cking stupid. --Nietzsche

3) To protect US corporate interests (Cuyamel Fruit and Standard Fruit), the US intervened diplomatically and militarily in Honduras, warning that intervention would ensue. ~~Cuyamel Fruit was bought out by United Fruit in 1929. Standard Fruit is now part of Dole but I didn't get a date.

Antepenultimate Funniest Thing I Read of the Week: If someone from ziplock could contact literally anyone in the cereal business, that would be great! https://www.facebook.com/groups/226096020786795/

Weird Word of the Week: Callipygian – having beautifully shaped buttocks. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/callipygian

Dragon of the Week: Ninereeds (Draco Nobilis) and Twoflower --Terry Pratchet's The Colour of Magic ~~That may be Rinsewind behind Twoflower, I'm not sure.

Wacky Uses for Common Products: Bake a moist ham. Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the coke for a sumptuous brown gravy. https://www.wackyuses.com/wacky/cocacola3.html

Do you figure clouds look down on us and think, “Wow, that one is shaped like a dumbass”? @@ When they told Elon to put his computer files in the cloud, he bought a rocketship.

...........For these ghosts that I chase..........Panic At The Disco …..King Of The Clouds

4) President Bertrand resigned. US troops landed to “protect American lives” even though it was implied that if he resigned they would not invade. The diplomats helped install an interim government (apparently not the one that was actually elected in first place).

Penultimate Funniest Thing I Read of the Week: Keith Richards and Willie Nelson outliving Dolly Parton and Richard Simmons really has me questioning everything D.A.R.E. taught me.

Science Fiction Convention of the Week: Rose City Comic Con (11-13, Portland, OR) Get Your Geek On... https://rosecitycomiccon.com/

Ego Alert of the Week: Why is it that I get this little ego boost, a tiny spark of joy, when I've shared a meme before some hotshot group posts it? Am I suddenly the center of some tiny universe.? I shared it, I didn't create it. Nietzsche was right.

Spark of Joy of the Week: 3 Wishes: 1) I want the wisdom of Athena. 2) I want the strength of an Amazon. 3) I want the audacity of a mediocre Republican man. --rvc of mo

Since her brother said rain was made by clouds' runny noses, my 7 year old refuses to go outside when it rains even with a raincoat, hat, and umbrella. @@ Damn, that's no cloud it's just somebody's computer.

..........You may not see the silver linin'...........Brad Paisley …..Behind The Clouds

5) The Banana Wars were a series of US military interventions, occupations, and police actions in Central America from 1898 to 1934.The main goal was to protect American commercial and economic interest in Latin American Designed to protect United Fruit and Standard Fruit. ~~This just sounds horribly like NOT HISTORY.

Protest Sign of the Week: GOD IS LOVE

Second Protest Sign of the Week: Believe Your Eyes Not Their Lies

Quote of the Week: The underlying purpose of AI is to allow wealth to access skill while removing from the skilled the ability to access wealth. --unknown

Final Funniest Thing I Read of the Week: If you're not up to crushing it today, try just crinkling it.

Today's Peace of History: September 11, 1906: Mohandas Gandhi, a young Indian lawyer, began a nonviolent resistance campaign in Johannesburg, South Africa, demanding rights and respect for those of Asian descent. It was the birth of his concept of political progress through nonviolent resistance known as Satyagraha, or truth-force.

Clouds are fluffy, not fat. Clouds can get skinny just by crying. Can you? @@ The reason it took so long to develop IT cloud stoarge was the time it took for enough software and hardware engineers to die and make it to heaven.

..........oh-oh-oh-oh..........One Direction ….Clouds

Masthead of the Week: Friday ePistle, September 11, 2026: Billowing ePistle . Online at: http://fridayepistle.blogspot.com/ Exclusive editor: Christine Smith. Lawrence, KS.

Moonbeam: Californians are a race of people; they are not merely inhabitants of a State. --O Henry

Cost of War:

Pentagon Spending 9/10/26: $962,112,225,540

Pentagon Spending 9/3/26: $942,699,874,972

That's nineteen billion, four hundred and twelve million, three hundred and fifty thousand, five hundred and sixty-eight dollars this week. That could double the annual amount of federal K-12 elementary education grants for schools in low income districts.

Without justice, and love, peace will always be the great illusion. --Helder Camara

Pentagon Spending in August 2026: $89,089,647,361

Pentagon Spending in July 2026: $85,053,017,282

Pentagon Spending in June 2026: $82,621,957,422

Pentagon Spending in May 2026: $87,601,145,719

Pentagon Spending in April 2026: $81,264,897,194

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/cost-of/

In politics, as in religion, it is equally absurd to aim at making proselytes by fire and sword. Heresies in either can rarely be cured by persecution. --Alexander Hamilton

Famous Last Words: ...a little droopingly, but with a hopeful heart. --D H Lawrence Lady Chatterly's Lover

..........I'm doing...(fine).........The Temptations …..Cloud Nine

Fog is just a cloud giving you a hug. @@ Rainbows are really just prisms sucking data out of cloud storage.

May you be showered by Peace

And flooded by Joy

prairie mama

christine



Last Laugh:


No comments:

Post a Comment